Permaculture Eco Garden Tour Presented By John Nzira
SATURDAY 3 MAY 2014, 9h00-11h00, Cost R150 including herbal teas
This inspiring 2-hour eco garden tour introduces you to the essence of permaculture, an all-encompassing ecological system, focusing on:
Land layout & design, plant nursery, vegetable & crop production, fruit, herbs and medicinal plants, companion planting, compost & earth worm farming, rain water harvesting, grey water treatment, black water management, integrated pest diseases and weed management systems, aquaculture(fish), apiculture(bees), integrated livestock system, seed bank, buffer zones.
In the words of John Nzira:
“Permaculture is a tool for living better, healthier and cheaper lives, in urban and rural areas.
The word is derived from Permanent agriculture or Permanent culture. It’s about UBUNTU – sharing with others and taking care of ourselves and the environment. It is about agro-ecology, agro-diversity, water and soil conservation, in urban and rural areas, at household and around your community, planting trees & plants for greening the environment and the ongoing production of food. It is about your rights, your RIGHT to produce food of your choice at the right time. It’s a way of creating JOBS and reducing HUNGER and POVERTY in our urban areas and rural communities.”
COST: R150.00 per person, including herbal teas
VENUE: 50 Pretorius Road, President Park, Midrand, Gauteng, RSA
Bring along: note book, pen, sun hat and comfortable shoes. Dress: comfortable, casual.
BOOKING IS ESSENTAIL: Contact Engela J v Rensburg on email@example.com or 083-445-2072 to reserve your place
Payments to Urban Farming Projects cc, FNB, Account 62309820737, Branch 250856, Reference: your name
Senior facilitator, John Nzira, founded Ukuvuna Urban Farming projects in 2005. He studied agro-ecology and permaculture, environmental education and community development. With more than two decades of experience working for government and NGOs in Africa, John is one of the permaculture pioneers in Africa. He received international sponsorship for training in Environmental Education and Ecological Agriculture in USA, Canada and Israel and received national and international awards:
- SANPARKS Kudu award for Community contribution to conservation 2011, awarded in Nov 2012
- MTK Award Department of Agriculture Gauteng, Water and Environment Project, First prize 2011
- MTK Award Department of Agriculture Gauteng, Ambassador for Community Projects, First prize 2011
- Post Bank Community Sector: Climate Change Leadership Award First prize 2010
- MTK Award Department of Agriculture Gauteng First prize 2009
- Landcare Nation Champion category first prize 2009
- MTK Award Department of Agriculture Gauteng first prize 2007
- Silver Gilt medal Chelsea Flower Show – UK Royal Horticultural Society 2006
- DEAT Conserva individual award 1996